MBE & DBE Certifications
A minority business is a socially and economically disadvantaged small business concern organized for profit as defined under the Small Business Act, 15 U.S.C.S., Section 637[a]), and performing a commercially useful function. The business must have one or more minority or female owners with controlling interest.
- The owner is a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- The owner is a member of an ethnic and disadvantaged group such as: Black American, Hispanic American, Asian-Pacific American, Native American, Asian-Indian American, or woman.
- The business is organized for profit, and a minority or woman owns and controls at least 51 percent of the business.
- A sole proprietor controls 100 percent of the business enterprise, and in corporations and partnerships minority owners control at least 51 percent of the management and daily business operations.
- Control is comprised of two parts; managerial and operational. The minority or women owner(s) must demonstrate responsibility for the critical areas of the operations and must be able to make independent and unilateral business decisions.
- The minority or women owner(s) must demonstrate that he/she independently makes basic decisions in daily operations.
- Ownership and control by minorities and women shall be real, continuing and shall go beyond the pro-forma ownership of the applicant as reflected in ownership documents.
The certification program creates a database of minority and women-owned businesses that serves as a directory of products and services and also identifies prospects for procurement and contracting opportunities. Certification is valid for three years. Minority, Disadvantaged, and Small Business Certifications for Bernard Johnson Group:
- DBE Certificate—California Department of Transportation
- MBE Certificate—Supplier Clearinghouse
- DBE Certificate—Commonwealth of Virginia
- DBE Certificate—South Carolina Unified Certification Program
- DBE Certificate—Tennessee Department of Transportation
- DBE Certificate—North Carolina Department of Transportation
- DBE Certificate—Colorado Department of Transportation
- DBE Certificate—Texas Department of Transportation
- DBE Certificate—Arizona Department of Transportation
- DBE Certificate—Georgia Department of Transportation